Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of increasing the visibility of your website on top search engines like Google and Bing, to drive more targeted traffic to your website. The more people visit your website, the more they will know about your product or service. This generates increased business and everyone’s favourite: revenue.
Your business’ website must be efficient, functional and full of quality, engaging content. Content is crucial and highly valuable. Well optimized content makes it easier for search engines to locate. In other words, content is king! Your content should be specifically written with this in mind. If you want to have a successful website, it is imperative to pay close attention to your content. Remember, the Internet is the “information highway,” and people come there to get detailed information–not just generalities or pictures. Invest in good content to differentiate your business and give people reasons to do business with you. Of course, it must be easy for people to browse and read, too.
Here are some tips to optimize the content on your website, and to get found with Google Panda 4.2, Google’s algorithm.
- Make sure each page of your site has at least 300 words of unique content that can’t be found elsewhere on your site or anywhere else on the web.
- Set up a blog on your domain, and publish something on it as often as you can. To start, aim for twice a month. Write articles that you would personally find interesting and would want to read.
- Set up news posts and/or events on your website. Discuss what’s new for your business: new products, new services or other changes and updates. Create an event calendar for sales events, workshops, and promotions.
- Refresh your content often. Search engines look for periodic changes as a sign that content is updated and relevant. Even small changes in headlines and body copy can satisfy this requirement. Fresh content is one of the best investments in keeping your site higher in the search rankings. And, given that few of your competitors probably do it, site updates may give you a competitive advantage.
- Make it dynamic and visually interesting! For example, create videos, podcasts, webinars, infographics, illustrations, PDF downloads.
- Identify 2-3 primary audiences for your product or service, and create unique content for each one. What are the main points or features that relate best to their individual needs?
- Avoid doing hard product pitches too often, and talk about other related topics that will interest your audience. Having users return to your site increases the likelihood that they will one day become clients.
- Add Social Share buttons to your blog and news posts so it is easy for visitors to share with their followers.
- Last must not least, make sure you have Google Analytics installed on your website to keep track of the type of posts or content that is driving the most traffic to your site. Take a look at the keywords and phrases that visitors used to find your site. This will help you plan your content for future posts.
Review your website! Is your website content and the frequency of your posts helping or hurting your SEO? Investing time in your website structure and content is crucial in today’s business world. Providing regular, quality content that visitors will find beneficial and useful will drive more people to your website. Those visitors will bring even more visitors once shared on social media. The end result will be more search results to your website while allowing your potential customers to find you online.